My Photo
Name:
Location: Metro Philly, PA, United States

I'm a mom trying to work, complete my education, and provide everything my family needs to be somewhat comfortable in this world. In other words, I'm just like everyone else.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Got Milk? Got Privacy?

Just about every morning, my son comes in and says "Good morning mommy!" and jumps into bed and gives me a big hug and kiss. It's a wonderful way to start the morning. Some days he's not in a good mood and just crawls in next to me and wants his hug. Those are the easy days, filled with snuggling. Some days he's wired as if he had 6 shots of espresso and starts jumping up and down, yelling at me to get up. Those are the challenging days.
And some days he pulls a Monty Python and does something completely different. This morning was a Monty Python morning.
"Where's mommy?" and he crawls on top of me.
"Where's your milk?"
I'm much too groggy to understand what's going on, until I realize my son has stripped all covers and clothing off my top and started squeezing my breasts.
"All Gone? Where's your milk?"
"My milk's all gone honey. Mommy's milk is for babies. You and your sister are no longer babies." I cover myself up.
"Oh." And off he goes, yammering on about putting his syrup on his pancakes.
Did my son just strip me down and feel me up? Yep. My daughter weaned back in August. How come this morning my son is interested in whether or not I'm lactating? Why not last week, or back in August? And what's with the stripping down?
We all know that our lives change when we have kids. But that simple statement is the understatement of the millennium. You don't just lose sleep. You don't just have a priority higher than yourself for the rest of your life. You don't just remain on call 24/7. You lose privacy. You lose your body - it's not your body. It's your children's body. Whether you breastfeed or not, you are going to lose your body to pregnancy, and you're going to lose your privacy to your children. You're also going to have a filthy household compared to what you had before kids, but that's another story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home